Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Tags

With nearly every content-management social networking site providing some sort of tagging feature, one finds themselves with many site-specific tag "vocabularies". I feel that an individual should have a single tag vocabulary that is accessible from each site, so that the tag "suggestion" feature on each site can draw from a single vocabulary. I'm also finding simple tags to be somewhat too simplistic, in that I would like to maintain a tag hierarchy so that a given tag implies its parent(s). And possibly other meta data about my tags (comments, term disambiguation, composite tags, etc.). Having a dedicated tag vocabulary system would allow an individual to maintain such structure and meta data for his tags. "Consumer" sites of these tags would not have to each implement their own versions of advanced tagging features. Such a system might also facilitate more interesting cross-site analyses of content, for a given user.

No comments: